As many welcome the Passover and Easter season, we are focusing on the rich church history in Iredell County. The Iredell Presbyterian congregations began in the 1750s, when this area was still Rowan County. Other denominations began to spread throughout the county, with churches appearing in the midst of groups of families. The church was the central part of the colonial communities in America. Because of this, church records are valuable tools in genealogy research and church histories are essential to understanding the development of rural communities.
The Presbyterian Church in America experienced a split in doctrine in the late 1700s, which resulted in two factions: The General Association and the Associate Reformed Presbyterians. These two sects resulted in the earliest congregations in Iredell County. The name “Fourth Creek” is etched into the history of this area. In fact, before Statesville earned its name and became the county seat in 1789, it was called the Fourth Creek Settlement or Fourth Creek Congregation. We believe the church, which would become First Presbyterian, began meeting between 1751-1753.